S. María de Piasca
Community ID
 
1409
 
Town
 
Piasca
 
Dedication
 
Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
941, June 11
 
Date Terminated
 
1075-1979 (See "Incorporated By," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Pactual monastery
 
Rule
 
San Fructuoso
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Teoda and Argontí, who may have been ancestors of the Alfonsine line that came to rule the kingdom of Asturias

 
First Members
 

Of the 36 original members (all female), about half of the names were Visigothic, and half were Latinate.

 
Notable Heads
 

Dates for the following abbesses are based on documents in which they appear, and thus probably do not reflect each abbess' full tenure: Ailón (941-966); Fronilde (977-981); Justa (997-999); Fronilde (1030); Eilo (1039); Urraca Alfonsa, daughter of Alfonzo Diaz (1048-dissolution of the double community)

 
Population Counts
 

At foundation: 36 nuns + Abbess Ailón.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Julian, in 1045

 
Incorporated By
 

Some time between 1075 and 1079, S. María ceased to be a double monastery. At this point, the nuns were absorbed into the community of S. Pedro de las Dueñas, and Urraca became abbess there. The male community became a dependency of the community of Sahagún shortly thereafter.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Founders, members of the Alfonsine line (many of whom served as abbesses).

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

Considered a "proprietary monastery" during the 10th c., more independant during the 11th.

 
Social Characteristics
 

Mixed, although many sons and daughters of the nobility were members.

 
Assets/Property
 

Included the village of Piasca, the church of s. Eulalia, and numerous properties near Piasca, as well as the more distant community of S. Julian and its properties (after 1045). Also controlled numerous churches, includeing Santiago y Santa María de Perrozo, San Julián de Plano, and San Pelayo and San Miguel de Luriezo.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

Although it was founded as a double monastery, women predominated at the beginning. They may have been the only original members, but there were men at the community at least as early as 945. The double community was under the supervision of an abbess during the 10th and early 11th centuries, but by the mid-11th century was usually ruled by an abbot-abbess pair, although the woman occasionally lacked the title of abbess.

 
Contributors
 
Marie Kelleher
 
Date Started
 
941
 
Date Finished
 
1075
 
Length
 
1583