S. Klara
Community ID
 
2588
 
Alternate Names
 
Klarissenkloster S. Klara
 
Town
 
Nürnberg (Nuremberg)
 
Diocese
 
Bamberg
 
Medieval Location
 
Nuremberg; the convent existed before the women's door (Frauentor) on King's Street (Königsstraße) near the present main train station.
 
Modern Location
 
Nuremberg; in the govermental district of Mittelfranken; in the region of Nuremberg
 
Dedication
 
S. Clare
 
Date Founded
 
circa 1232
 
Date Terminated
 
1525; 1591
 
Religious Order
 
Penitential Order of Mary Magdalene; Poor Claresn
 
Rule
 
Augustinian; Rule of S. Clare
 
Foundation Information
 

From circa 1232-1279 the convent housed women of the Penitential Order of Mary Magdalene (or Reuerinnen in German). From 1279 the convent adopted the rule of S. Clare at the order of Pope Gregory X. The convent was condemned to die out in 1525; the last nun died in 1591.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

After the last nun died in 1591, the buildings were used as a home for the widows of pastors. In 1892 the buildings were torn down. The church served as an evangelical church until 1806. Since 1857, the church has continued as a Catholic church.

 
Admin. Notes
 

Bavaria Franciscana Antiqua, V, p. 633. Hist Staetten, p. 500-511.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Finished
 
1525
 
Length
 
764