S. Katharinental
Community ID
 
1392
 
Alternate Names
 
Katharinental
 
Town
 
St. Gall; near Diessenhofen
 
Diocese
 
Konstanz
 
Medieval Location
 
outside Diessenhofen on the bank of the Rhine river
 
Date Founded
 
1230 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1869
 
Religious Order
 
Dominican by 1245
 
Rule
 
Rule of S. Augustine
 
Foundation Information
 

The first known prioress is Williburg von Hünikon. Circa 1230 the community of thirteen nuns moved to Diessenhofen. In 1242 the bishop of Constance allowed them to move outside Diessenhofen on the bank of the Rhine river. The location was called "Vallis Sanctae Catherinae prope Diessenhoven." In 1245 the community was incorporated into the Dominican order by pope Innocent IV. The Dominicans in Constance were responsible for the care of the nuns.

 
First Members
 

The first known prioress is Williburg von Hünikon.

 
Dependent Communities
 

In 1399 five sisters were chosen to help found the reformed convent of Schönensteinbach, whose first prioress was Clara Anna von Hohenburg.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

The Dominicans in Constance were responsible for the care of the nuns.

 
Social Characteristics
 

The members of the community were drawn from the urban patriciate and the local nobility from the surrounding areas of Villingen, Schaffhausen and Constance.

 
Literary Works
 

The community's first period of bloom was in the fourteenth century; at this time it produced the S. Katharinentaler Sister-Book. (This was also a period of a renewal of strict observances.) A chronicle of the community also survives.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In the eighteenth century the community experienced another period of bloom under the prioress Dominika Josepha von Rottenberg (1676-1738). Under this prioress the Baroque buildings of the convent were built. These buildings still exist. She also renewed strict obervances. The community was dissolved by the Canton of Thurgau. The last sisters moved to Schänis, and then to Weesen.

 
Admin. Notes
 

(

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1230
 
Date Finished
 
1869
 
Length
 
1606