S. Katharine by the Tower
Community ID
 
1005
 
Town
 
London
 
Diocese
 
London
 
Region
 
Middlesex
 
Medieval Location
 
London
 
Modern Location
 
London
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
S. Catherine
 
Date Founded
 
1148, refounded in 1273.
 
Date Terminated
 
1825. It was demolished to clear the land for St. Katherine's Docks.
 
Foundation Information
 

The hospital was founded by Queen Matilda, wife of King Stephen, in memoriam of her two sons, Stephen and Eustace, who died in infancy. At it's foundation the hospital housed three sisters, three brothers, and almsman, and six clerks who cared for up to 23 poor under the supervision of a male master.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

In 1442, due largely to the popularity of its musical programme, the hospital was granted a Charter of Privileges, which made the hospital independent from the City of London's ecclesiastical and civil jurisdiction.

 
Dependency Of
 

While the custody of the hospital was officially granted to the priory of Holy Trinity, Queen Matilda reserved the right to appoint the master, a right which she also conferred upon her successors. Because of the hospitals special relationship with the queen, it escaped dissolution.

 
Visitations
 

In 1257, the bishop of London made a visitation at the behest of Queen Eleanor of Provence. At that time he dismissed the master of the house, which had been appointed by the canons of Holy Trinity.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Queen Consort Eleanor of Castile, Queen Consort Philippa of Hainault, Queen Consort Eleanor of Provence, John Holland, duke of Exeter; Henry VI,

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1442, the hospital consisted of 23 acres.

 
Charitable/Work
 

Founded as a hospital for the poor.

 
Litigations
 

In 1255, Queen Eleanor of Provence disputed Holy Trinity's custody of the hospital, perhaps because the hospital seems to have fallen into disrepair, with the brothers being accused of drunken quarrels. However, both the Court of the Exchequer and the mayor and the aldorman of London all decided against Eleanor, thus confirming Holy Trinity's right to appoint the master. Eleanor then turned to the bishop of London, who intervened on her behalf. The bishop dimissed the master appointed by Holy Trinity and stated that Holy Trinity should no longer interfere in any way with the running of St. Katharine's. In 1261, the bishop of London, Henry de Wengham, along with the bishops of Carlisle and Salisbury, convinced the canons of Holy Trinity to renounce their claims to the hospital. At this time, the hospital was formally surrendered to the Queen.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

By the early modern period, St. Katharine's had it's own court system and prison.

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project, Ericka Swensson
 
Date Started
 
1148
 
Date Finished
 
1825
 
Length
 
166