S. John the Baptist
Community ID
 
879
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Mary and All the Saints was the community name at the time of its foundation. Later known as Hospital of S. John Without the North Gate.
 
Town
 
Chester
 
Diocese
 
Coventry (LI)
 
Region
 
Cheshire
 
Medieval Location
 
The hospital was located outside the town beyond North Gate, also called Foregate.
 
Modern Location
 
Chester
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
John the Baptist and S. Mary and All Saints (cited in the foundation document).
 
Date Founded
 
1190 or later
 
Date Terminated
 
1644
 
Religious Order
 
The community was probably Augustinian at first.
 
Rule
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

Ranulf III , Earl of Cheshire founded the hospital for the poor and the insane. Primarily it served poor men and women of Chester and in particular widows dependent upon alms. The founding also involved some brothers and a Prior.

 
Population Counts
 

Between 1493 and 1496 there are 12 poor and sick men or women. When the community is terminated there are 6 consores who receive pensions. They are the widows of S. John's.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

A clerk of the Black Prince, whose sister lived at the hospital, bequeathed 20 pounds to its prior in 1400.

 
Early Documents
 

[1]The first document records the donation by Ranulf III to found the hospital. (After 1190.)

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Sisters and brothers in the confraternity who are well enough wear habits and are buried in the community. After 1200 a woman not wearing a habit cares for the sick.

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Contributors Notes
 

Further research is necessary to confirm that this is a female community.

 
Date Started
 
1190
 
Date Finished
 
1644
 
Length
 
1186