S. John the Baptist
Community ID
 
1049
 
Alternate Names
 
Redcliffe, S. Iohannis Baptiste de Redeclivia
 
Town
 
Bristol
 
Diocese
 
West Bath
 
Region
 
Somershire
 
Medieval Location
 
Near or inside Bristol, next to the church of S. Mary Redcliffe
 
Modern Location
 
Redcliffe
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
S. John the Baptist
 
Date Founded
 
1200 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1544
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

The community is traditionally thought to have been founded by John Farcey, sometimes spelled Farceyn. Founded for a master, brothers and sisters of the Augustinian order. There is evidence of the presence of sisters at the hospital in documents dated between 1200 and 1250. There is a lay sister at the community in 1317.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

A lay sister, Alice, niece of Edmund di Wyntreshall was admitted in response to a request from the Bishop of Bath in 1317.

 
Assets/Property
 

Community assets included a manor, a chapel in the cemetery of S. Mary Radcliffe, and part of the rectory at Backwell. Values are in a decline in 1383.

 
Early Documents
 

The first document is the deed to the church of S. Mary Redcliffe.(About 1200)

 
Art & Artifacts
 

Remains include a 13th century seal and a vesica with the baptism of Jesus Christ.

 
Admin. Notes
 

from foundation field: , then 1322???? ( a lay sis 1317 )

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Contributors Notes
 

It is questionable that this is a women's community. Further research is necessary.

 
Date Started
 
1200
 
Date Finished
 
1544
 
Length
 
716