S. John the Baptist
Community ID
 
1051
 
Town
 
Bath
 
Diocese
 
West Bath
 
Region
 
Somershire
 
Medieval Location
 
The hosital was annexed to the parish church of S. Michael.
 
Modern Location
 
Bath
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
S. John the Baptist
 
Date Founded
 
1180 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1539
 
Religious Order
 
Thought to be Augustinian; Further research is required to verify this.
 
Rule
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Reginald, Bishop of Bath from 1174-91, for the sick and poor of Bath. The hospital was staffed by a warden, brothers, and sisters. The history of the founding is provided in the second document.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Sisters mentioned in 1260 only , (needs verification)

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Reginald, Bishop of Bath, William di Wethamsted, Hugh, Bishop Lincoln by testament in 1235 and Bishop Ralph Shrewsbury, 1331.

 
Assets/Property
 

The hospital was endowed by its founder with land holdings and tenements in Bath. In 1535 the assets of the hospital were valued to be more than 22 pounds.

 
Income
 

Income was derived from rents, indulgences and from Bishop's tithes that were bestowed on the hospital by its founder.

 
Charitable/Work
 

Cared for the poor and the sick who perhaps were encouraged to take the waters of Bath.

 
Early Documents
 

The first document dated 1180 is a copy of the foundation document, but this needs to be verified with further research. The second document, dated July 15, 1280, is a record of a service for Hugh, Bishop of Lincoln, who was a benefactor of the hospital.

 
Admin. Notes
 

Mad 6/10/97

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1180
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
905