S. Giuliana
Community ID
 
2677
 
Town
 
Perugia
 
Diocese
 
Perugia
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside the Porta Eburnea, not far from Roca Paolina, in the district of Porta San Pietro
 
Date Founded
 
1253, September
 
Date Terminated
 
1810 - becomes a granary. In 1816 the properties revert to the church, but the nuns were expelled again in 1869, and the monastery became a military hospital. Became a church once again in 1937.
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by the Cistercian Cardinal, Giovanni di Toledo, Bishop of Porto, who before 1253 chose 40 young women of Perugia and gave them the cistercian habit and rule. Innocent IV officially established it in September of that year, and granted indulgences (?) to those who visited the community on the feast days of Saints Benedict and Giuliana.

 
First Members
 

Members in 1262: Domina Marina (Abbess), Anna (prioress), Filippa, Madelena, Margarita, Perusina, Gregoria, Margerita, Ispana, Benedicta, Perusina, Angela, Agnese, Caterina, Amadea, Bartolomea, Iacoba, Agata, Felicita, Iovanna, Benedicta de Burgundia, Cecilia, Andrea, Paola, Teoddora, Francisca, Amelia, Elisabet, Consolata and Maria.

 
Population Counts
 

30 in 1262 (see above); 121 in the sixteenth century, even though the monastery was only built for 80 nuns.

 
Dependency Of
 

Pope Innocent IV placed the community under the authority of the Abbot of S. Galgano (Siena).

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

In 1562 Pope Pius IV wrote a brief in which he subjected the nuns to the Chapter General of the Cistercians. The bishop took possession of the community in 1568.

 
Relative Wealth
 

Very wealthy.

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1292, the priors of the comune of Perugia gave the community the castle of S. Egidio di Colle with its temporal and spiritual jurisdiction.

 
Litigations
 

In 1469 the community brought suit against the Brothers of S. Francesco over the hospital and Oratory of S. Egidio de Contado at the Porta Susanna.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

A thirteenth-century fresco in the church depicts S. Giuliana guarding the nuns.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The bell tower was inaugurated in the fifteenth century. Both the church and the monastery are valuable.

 
Relics
 

The head of S. Giuliana is at the Pinacoteca Communale.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

1539: Pope Paul III reformed the community.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1253
 
Date Finished
 
1810
 
Length
 
2031