S. Giovanni Evangelisto a Pratovecchio
Community ID
 
60
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Giusto location 2 , 1137 / S. Salvatore a Capo d'Arno 1134 / S. Maria Poppiena
 
Town
 
Fiesole
 
Diocese
 
Fiesole
 
Region
 
Tuscany
 
Medieval Location
 
Casetino 3 mile Camoldoli [1058-1134]; mountains of Casetino, near the Arno [1134-1137]; Gricciano [1137-1140]; in the town Fiesole [1140--]
 
Modern Location
 
Pratovecchio
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Dedication
 
Saint John the Evangelist
 
Date Founded
 
1058
 
Date Terminated
 
1808
 
Religious Order
 
Camadolense
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Countess Imilia dei Conti Guidi; later refounded in 1134

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Countess Imilia provided foundation gifts (1058?). In 1149, the Bishop of Arezzo donated a church to Abbess Sofia (See "Early Documents," below).

 
Assets/Property
 

The house had extensive holdings, including the church of S. Ilario in Puglia, which had been donated by the bishop of Arezzo in 1149 (See "Early Documents," below).

 
Early Documents
 

[1] 1134: incorporation of Cambridge; [2] 1149: donation of the church of S. Ilario

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1058
 
Date Finished
 
1808
 
Length
 
519