S. Giovanni di Paragnano
Community ID
 
2745
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Giovanni Battista; S. Lucretiae/Lucrezie (currently)
 
Town
 
Todi
 
Diocese
 
Todi
 
Date Founded
 
1362 (circa: some sources give 1389 or 1400)
 
Date Terminated
 
extant
 
Religious Order
 
Franciscan Tertiaries
 
Foundation Information
 

Though the exact foundation date is in dispute, the buildings were erected some time before 1389, probably by the Beata Angelina, with sisters Lucrezia, Caterina, Angelica, and Cecilia of Foligno.

 
Notable Heads
 

Lucrezia, daughter of Simone III (Count of Genga) and wife of Count Federici de Marsciano, was the community's first ministra. She was followed by her sister Suor Caterina Zuccano (noted in Papal Bulls of August 19, 1428 [Martin V] and March 2, 1436 [Eugenius]), then by suor Cecilia (see bulls of Eugenius, May 2, 1440, and December 26, 1444).

 
Incorporated Communities
 

In 1413, S. Giovanni temporarily took in nuns of Maggiore di Monte Mascarano who were unsatisfied with the community of S. Angelo della Valle into which their community had been incorporated. The nuns of Montesanto eventually rejoined S. Angelo (by then renamed S. Francesco della Valle) in 1433.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

It is reported that the community united with S. Maria di Montecristo in 1402; however, both communities continue to exist after this date. Needs verification.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1362
 
Length
 
1196