S. Giovanni
Community ID
 
2610
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Giovanni Battista
 
Town
 
Spello
 
Diocese
 
Foligno
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside the city, on the hill of Giano
 
Dedication
 
John the Baptist
 
Date Founded
 
1325 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1816 (see "Incorporated By," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Clares
 
Rule
 
Augustinian after 1345
 
Notable Heads
 

Abbess Mita or Margherita di Andreuccio was abbess as of 1345. She was succeeded a few years later by Costanza di Rinalduccio of Perugia, dying in office in 1412 at age 108. Filippa di Andrea succeeded her, then Giovanna, and finally Pisa di Lamparelli, who died in 1471.

 
Population Counts
 

3 in 1340, including the abbess; 14 in 1345: Abbess Mita or Margherita di Andreuccio, her companions Suor Costanza di Rinalduccio of Perugia and Suor Cecilia da Cerreto, and other nuns Andreuccia di Nerio di Grasso, Elisabetta, Illuminata, Agostina, Filippa, Catarina, Giovanna, Benedetta, Margherita, Elena, Francesca di Cola and Cecilia Rostanze.

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Maria Maddalena (1816) at the order of Pope Pius VII.

 
Dependency Of
 

After adopting the Augustinian rule in 1345, they become a dependency of the Canons Regular of the Lateran, who lived on Colle Giano.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

The monastery caught fire in 1326 [?], killing 8 nuns and 70 lambs. Margherita di Anreuccio, abbess in 1345, left with her companions Costanza and Cecilia (see above) to settle temporarily in a convent of Tertiaries in the city of Spello, but she later returned to the monastery while it was being repaired, leaving her two companions.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1325
 
Date Finished
 
1816
 
Length
 
1425