S. Francesco delle Donne
Community ID
 
2663
 
Town
 
Perugia
 
Diocese
 
Perugia
 
Medieval Location
 
near the Porta S. Angelo
 
Date Founded
 
1253 (as a female community. Male community on the site dates from earlier)
 
Date Terminated
 
1815. Became a women's school of some kind. Currently a ceramic factory.
 
Religious Order
 
Franciscan
 
Incorporated Communities
 

June 10th, 1253, nuns from S. Angelo de Arenaria bought the properties from the Franciscans brothers (who moved on to the S. Francesco al Prato), and founded the community of S. Francesco. In 1302, they were united with S. Maria di Valverde, S. Galgano in 1412, and S. Agnese and S. Giovanni di Columbella in 1422.

 
Incorporated By
 

When the papacy was vacant, c. 1400, the nuns transferred to S. Benedetto Novello, and the Augustines went to S. Francisco. On March 1552 they returned to the original site.

 
Dependency Of
 

Bishop of Foligno

 
Relative Wealth
 

Very poor. Received alms in 1316, 1458, 1484, 1485, 1499 (the last of these was to repair damage to the walls).

 
Assets/Property
 

Acquired the church of S. Angelo outside Montemelino in 1500.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

At the Pinacoteca Communale there are two paintings by Bernardino of Mariotto: one is of the Virgin and Child with a nun, the other is the Virgin and Child with Saints Francis and Benedict.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

This was the first Franciscan church built in the Roman Gothic style.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1253
 
Date Finished
 
1815
 
Length
 
1044