S. Francesco della Valle
Community ID
 
2743
 
Town
 
Todi
 
Diocese
 
Todi
 
Medieval Location
 
Originally in the Montesanto valley; transferred to the city in 1268
 
Date Founded
 
1251, April 4
 
Date Terminated
 
1329-1353 (See "Miscellaneous Information," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Clares
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded April 4, 1251, when Giacomo degli Atti, Bishop of Todi, donated lands to Phillippo and Margarita. The community was constructed by Gaultiero de Grimaldo, and Gualfredo was named guardian.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

Alexander IV conceded a 40-day indulgence (for visiting the monastery?) in 1253, and a 100-day indulgence in 1258.

 
Early Documents
 

1266: Pietro Caetani, Bishop of Todi, writes giving permission for the commuity to move to within the city.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1329, the Papal Legate Giovanni Gaetano Orsini authorized the guardian of S. Fortunato [?] to absolve the nuns from excommunication for having been accomplices of Ludwig of Bavaria. This is the last notice of the community, until the properties are purchased sometime before 1353 for the foundation of S. Angelo della Valle.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1251
 
Date Finished
 
1329
 
Length
 
935