S. Elisabeth
Community ID
 
2348
 
Town
 
Memmingen
 
Diocese
 
Augsburg
 
Modern Location
 
Memmingen; in the governmental district of Schwabia; in the administrative district of Memmingen.
 
Dedication
 
S. Elizabeth
 
Date Founded
 
1256
 
Date Terminated
 
1812
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian (until 1529)
 
Rule
 
Augustinian (until 1529)
 
Foundation Information
 

The convent was founded in 1256 for anchoresses of the Augustinian order (Ordo Fratrum Eremitarum Sancti Augustini). In 1529 this community was dissolved, and in 1614 it was refounded with Franciscan nuns.

 
Secondary Sources
 

[1]HEMMERLE. Augustinereremiten, 44-47.
[2]Hist. Staetten, 413.
[3]Bavaria Franciscana Antiqua II, 407.
Ideal monastique et interets de la bourgeoisie. La cloture du couvent des Augustines de la ville libre et imperiale de Memmingen

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1529 the Augustinian convent was dissolved by the city council of Memmingen. In 1614 Franciscan nuns acquired the cloister.

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1256
 
Date Finished
 
1812
 
Length
 
673