S. Clara
Community ID
 
653
 
Town
 
Cuneo
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Date Founded
 
1298
 
Date Terminated
 
1855
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Clares
 
Population Counts
 

1497: 12 sisters; 1814: 17 sisters

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

On May 30, 1348, the last will of Berlino Paghacae stipulated that the nuns of S. Clara be left a dairy [located on the edge of town?], with the stipulation that the monastery lasway have 2 brothers [lay?] and give an annual render of certain products [to whome?]

 
Relative Wealth
 

Very well-off during the medieval period, but began to sell off its property beginning in the mid-17th c. However, a record book containing the expenditures and income of the monastery show it with a credit of 633 livres in 1652.

 
Early Documents
 

Nov 15, 1435. Sale of arable land on the edge of Cuneo to the nun Salvagia de Alasus (approved by the abbess Benedicta de Scarampis.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Torino, Archivio di Stato, Sala 14, materie ecclesiastiche monache, Cunei

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1298
 
Date Finished
 
1855
 
Length
 
552