S. Caterina Vecchia
Community ID
 
2678
 
Town
 
Perugia
 
Diocese
 
Perugia
 
Medieval Location
 
1 km. from the Porta S. Angelo.
 
Modern Location
 
Corso Garibaldi 179 (moved to this location in 1649)
 
Date Founded
 
1258 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1643: The war between Pope Urban VIII and the Duke of Tuscany put the community in danger, so they moved to the city, taking over an older community (probably named S. Chiara) and refounding it as S. Caterina Novella.
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1265, October 18: Clement IV consecrates the church and publishes a bull. Julian II confirmed the monastery's privileges on April 7, 1507.

 
Dependent Communities
 

Took over the direction of S. Maria Maddalena in 1383.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

On March 27, 1487, at the request of the nuns, Pope Innocent VIII removed the monastery from the Bishop's supervision and placed it under the protection of the Congrecations of S. Giustina, later called "Cassinese."

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Benvenuta di Cilino of Assisi left 4 solidos to the community in 1248. Another donor conceded one stone for the church altar in 1296. The community received alms in both 1461, then later in 1481 to repair structural damages.

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1399 they were given the goods of Monte Tezio, together with workers and animals.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1258
 
Date Finished
 
1643
 
Length
 
945