S. Caterina della Picaia
Community ID
 
1459
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Caterina di Picaia / de Picario / de Picaria / di Porta Perlici (after 1259)
 
Town
 
Assisi
 
Diocese
 
Assisi
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside the Porta Nuova where the street to Panzo and s. Benedetto branches and goes to Viole where the villa Ladenzi is built. Transferred in 1259 to Prato, at Porta Perlaxi, or Perlici.
 
Date Founded
 
1259
 
Date Terminated
 
1595 (See
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

On February 7, 1403, Paula, daughter of Iohannis, "alias molebarbe de Prusio," a novice at NULL, left her monastery with a 100-libra dowry, and was accepted at S. Caterina.

 
Population Counts
 

8 in 1412, 3 in 1484, 18 in 1500 (including 6 from S. Agnese), 5 in 1573.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Agnese in 1478, and S. Anna in 1485.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1501, the nuns were evicted, but they returned. Some were expelled again in 1521. The community was supressed in 1529 and in 1546 the monastery was given to Cistercian nuns from Perugia. The latter, however, fail to observe strict claustration and are ejected. Nuns from Assisi were given the community next, but were suppressed in 1595.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1259
 
Date Finished
 
1595
 
Length
 
925