S. Caterina
Community ID
 
616
 
Town
 
Aosta
 
Diocese
 
Aosta
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Date Founded
 
1247 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1803 -- Suppressed and dispersed (buildings ceded to S. Giuseppe in 1836)
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian Canonesses
 
Foundation Information
 

Tradition has it that the nuns care from Loueche (in the high Vallese) in 1247, presumably fleeing from war. The provost, Verres Aimone, ceded some land and the monastery buildings to the sisters.

 
Population Counts
 

1802: 10 or 12 nuns

 
Charitable/Work
 

Occupied with the education of girls.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

Buildings of S. Caterina currently belong to S. Giuseppe.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Torino, Archivio di Stato, Sala 14, Materie Ecclesiastiche Monache, Aosta, Mat. eccl. mon., S. Catterina, 16 fasc. "de inventariare," 1300-1780.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Accepted enclosure as ordered by the Council of Trent, but did not observe it faithfully.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1247
 
Date Finished
 
1803
 
Length
 
805