S. Bernardo
Community ID
 
228
 
Town
 
Pisa
 
Region
 
Tuscany
 
Medieval Location
 
"par S. Christoforo" (1444); " par S. Giovanni al Gaetano" (1267); next to the church of S. Croce, at the mouth of the Arno
 
Modern Location
 
Pisa
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
Saint Bernard
 
Date Founded
 
1251
 
Date Terminated
 
1810
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Maria Maddelena di Colle (S. Maria Maddelena); hospital Osnello, via Carraja di Minutolo

 
Dependency Of
 

The abbot S. Galgano (in Volterra) granted the privilege to build a new monastery in location 1, in 1444. After 1580, the community came under the jurisdiction of the bishop of Pisa, by order of Pope Gregory XIII.

 
Assets/Property
 

The building at the site "par Giovanni al Gaetano" was begun in 1255, and was habitable by 1267. (Pope Clement IV had cited danger from pirates at the previous location at the mouth of the Arno.)

 
Early Documents
 

1251: Papal bull, granting monastic privileges under the Cistercial rule

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1251
 
Date Finished
 
1810
 
Length
 
563