S. Benedetto Novello
Community ID
 
2668
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria Novella; S. Maria del Condotto
 
Town
 
Perugia
 
Diocese
 
Perugia
 
Medieval Location
 
Porta S. Angelo
 
Date Founded
 
1640 as S. Benedetto Novella; earlier a male community called S. Benedetto, and before that an older female community named S. Maria Novella.
 
Date Terminated
 
1820 (see "Incorporated By," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Congregation
 
Silvestrinae (after 1641)
 
Foundation Information
 

Began as a community of male Benedictines who took over S. Bevignate in 1640, at which time their monastery was ceded to the nuns of S. Benedetto.

 
Incorporated By
 

Bishop Flesio suppressed the monastery in 1820, and the nuns were incorporated into S. Caterina Vecchia, which itself had recently taken over/moved to S. Caterina Novella. In the 20th century, there were Salesinae directing an orphanage at the old location of S. Benedetto Novello.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

Remaining pictures include S. Silvester receiving communion from the Virgin Mary, and a picture of the Madonna and Child with saints Benedict, Scholastica, and one other.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

The church was partially demolished, but some of the original structure remains.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1640
 
Date Finished
 
1820
 
Length
 
831