S. Benedetto
Community ID
 
2669
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Benedetto de Aura; S. Erminio (needs verification)
 
Town
 
Perugia
 
Diocese
 
Perugia
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside the city, 1 km. from the Porta S. Antonio
 
Date Founded
 
1267
 
Date Terminated
 
1641 -- nuns took over the former male community of S. Benedetto Novello. Community's buildings became a private church until the sisters of S. Chiara transferred there after having been expelled from S. Maria de Monteluce.
 
Religious Order
 
Silvestrini
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by S. Silvestro Guzzolini

 
Other Economic Activities
 

Given alms in 1458 and 1461. In 1487 they were given alms to restore the monastery and were exempted from taxes for ten years. In 1499 their tax exemption was renewed, and in 1503 they were granted alms to repair damage caused by lightning.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

There is one picture in which S. Benedict and S. Francis appear together. S. Erminio is also depicted at the side of the Madonna and Child.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

Church is very small. External walls of the monastery show remains of the medieval structures.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1267
 
Date Finished
 
1641
 
Length
 
843