S. Bartolomeo de Nava
Community ID
 
1402
 
Town
 
Nava
 
Diocese
 
Oviedo
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Date Founded
 
1252 or earlier
 
Foundation Information
 

May have been founded as a proprietary monastery of the Alvarez family.

 
Notable Heads
 

The community had both an abbess and a prioress. We have names beginning from the mid-13th century. Note: the following dates do not represent the complete tenure of the abbesses and prioresses, but rather the dates or range of dates of the documents in which they appear as officeholders. ABBESSES: Gontro Alvares (1255-1260), Sancha Alvarez (1298-1303), Maria Diez (1315), Urraca Diaz (1333-1349), Teresa Alvarez (1361-1362), Maria Beltran (1365-1381), Ines Fernandez(1401-1408), Aldonza Gonzalez (1415-1422), Ines Garcia (1427-1428), Teresa Garcia (1437), Maria Fernandez (1443), Maria Suarez (1448-1464), Mencia Gonzalez (1470-1481), Maria Gonzalez de Arguelles (1495-1496), Maria Gonzales de Nava (1509). The PRIORESSES are the same as the abbesses until 1315, then: Ines Suarez (1315), Teresa Alvarez de Manzaneda (1332-1346), Maria Alvarez (1362), Mayor Fernandez (1363-1381), Aldonza Gonzalez de Carreno (1401), Ines Garcia (1415), Aldonza Alfonso (1427), Teresa Garcia (1428), Maria Suarez (1433), Mencia Gonzalez (1448-1464), Andrequina Alonso (1470), Maria Gonzalez de Arguelles (1480), Teresa Garcia (1495).

 
Population Counts
 

10 in 1428; 11 in 1470

 
Incorporated Communities
 

Gutierre, bishop of Ovieto, ordered that the nearby communities of Villamayor and Soto be absorbed into S. Bartolome suring the last third of the 15th century (possibly for laxity of discipline).

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Members of the Alvarez family

 
Contributors
 
Marie Kelleher
 
Date Started
 
1252
 
Length
 
1466