S. Apollinare
Community ID
 
1456
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Rosa or Benedetta
 
Town
 
Assisi
 
Diocese
 
Assisi
 
Modern Location
 
Viale S. Rosa
 
Date Founded
 
1229 (1201 according to Bigaroni); Second mounastery built in the city in 1286. They could not build earlier because S. Chiara had been prohibited by Pope Clement IV from building church or monastery in the vicinity. Honorius IV later reduced distance.
 
Date Terminated
 
1766, but restored in 1881.
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine by 1286; may have been something else in its earliest decades
 
Notable Heads
 

Abbesses: Francesca Francisci (1302), Andreaola (1340), Ceccuicia or Cechutce (1341), Giacoma (1405)

 
Population Counts
 

19 in 1264, 29 in 1291, 28 in 1302, 29 in 1341.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

17 April, 1347: Pope John XXII confirmed all privileges, freedom and immunity that had been granted by his predecessors. // 13 September, 1229: Pope Gregory IX issued a bull giving the house the right to exercise privileges located in the rondineti.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Paolo delle Abbadesse in 1453 (See "Litigations," below)

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1264, Paul and Thomas Offreducci, bound to S. Francis and S. Clare with family ties, sell lands, houses and gardens in the Porta Moiani, in the parish of S. Maria Maggiore. In 1316, Latinus Balerio, syndic and procurator, sells all the land the community owned in the vicinity of the commune, with the exception of the monastery gardens. In 1333/34 it paid 7.5 decime, and in 1354 the property was valued at 6,171 lire.

 
Litigations
 

In 1330-40, S. Paolo delle Abbadesse built a monastery next to S. Apollinare and transferred nuns in in 1341. They began to quarrel over the church that S. Paolo wanted to build on the "platea" that belonged to S. Apollinare. Their excues was that S. Paolo abutted the "platea" on two sides and S. Apollinare on only one. On September 12, 1341, Nicola, bishop of Assisi and vicar general, solved the crisis by letting S. Paolo build with one wall balanced by the wall of Monastery S. Apollinare. Peace reigned until 1411, but then, because of war and earthquake, the wass between the church of S. Apollinare and S. Paolo was damaged. The outcome was that S. Paolo had to pay 6 gold florentines to S. Apollinare. The nuns of S. Paolo contested the verdict, but a higher court upheld it. There was peace for 30 more years, but in 1442 political and social battles once again divided the two communities. S. Apollinare was viewed as virtuous, but not S. Paolo. Giovanni de Acetis de Cormaianico deposed Emilia Antonii Franceschini de Fluminibus as abbess of S. Paolo, transferred her with the other nuns to other monasteries of the city, and united S. Paolo to S. Apollinare, because of unvirtuous morals ("inhonest morium").

 
Early Documents
 

May 22, 1302: Bishop Teobaldo exchanges a piece of land in the vicinity of the monastery for another.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Documentazione di vita assisana, 1300-1530, vol. 1, pp. 322, 583; vol. 2, p. 627

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1229
 
Date Finished
 
1766
 
Length
 
2368