S. Antonio Abbate
Community ID
 
2740
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Antonio; S. Antoniuccio; S. Antonio dentro la Città
 
Town
 
Todi
 
Diocese
 
Todi
 
Medieval Location
 
via Ulpiana; then in 1398 moved to Torre Candia (today a parish of Ssmo. Crocefisso)
 
Date Founded
 
1233 (as a female community)
 
Religious Order
 
Camaldolese
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

In 1218, this was a male community, but in 1233 Bishop Bonifazio changed it to a female community for a group of saintly women who had been living in the area since 1216.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1258 (July 23): Alexander IV writes to all Camaldolese abbots, priors and abbesses that the community of S. Antonio and its possessions are under his protection.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

Some of the nuns from S. Margherita moved to S. Antionio after 1398.

 
Litigations
 

The nuns of S. Antonio turned to the comune for help when they were sued by the Hermis of the Third Order living in S. Nicola on Mt. Foce. The whole matter was cleared up when the town of Gubbio agreed to pay 110 fiorini to the hermits and the nuns agreed to restore the site of their old convent and place it in the hands of the town.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

On May 5, 1298, the Bishop of Perugia and the Camaldolese Abbot of S. Petri ordered that the nuns of S. Antonio should demonlish the oratory in the parish of S. Nicolai de Cryptis. On June 8, 1398, the nuns assembled in a house in the district of Cammuccia (parish of S. Niccolo) and presented Giovanni di Berando with a bull from Pope Boniface IX permitting the nuns to leave the monastery because of war and fire and move to Torre Candia (today a parish of Ssma. Crocifisso), where they bought houses and lived for 50 years. They were constantly harassed by the prior of S. Croce de Sassovivo (diocese of Foligno), but the prior of S. Angelo della Colle gave them permission to build a tower and a cemetery.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1233
 
Length
 
1876