S. Angelo della Valle
Community ID
 
2738
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Francesco della Valle
 
Town
 
Todi
 
Diocese
 
Todi
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside the town, in the Montesanto valley, close to the Porta Orvietana, next to the church of S. Angelo di Scolca
 
Date Founded
 
1329 (circa: some sources say 1353)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine, then Poor Clares towards the end of the fourteenth century
 
Congregation
 
Servi de Maria (needs verification)
 
Foundation Information
 

Ranuccio degli Atti, bishop of Todi, and his brother Francesco (Bishop of Chiusi) purchased the old community of S. Francesco della Valle sometime between 1329 and 1353 at the request of their father, Andrea, who wanted to atone for his collaboration with Ludwig of Barvaria. They were able to purchase the properties from Matteo and Nallo de Migliuccio and Luca di Monuccio for 136 libri and 6 solidi that came from the rebel Amico di Angellelo. New wings were added on to the old structures to make room for the new community.

 
Notable Heads
 

Giliella di Nuccio, abbess in 1361; Mariola di ser Sisto, abbess in 1433

 
Population Counts
 

7 in 1361

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1354, September: Innocent VI conceded a 40-day indulgence to anyone who visited the monastery church.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Maria Nova in 1364, then Maggiore di Monte Mascarano (itself previously unified with S. Maria di Camiano) in 1413, at which time S. Angelo became a community of Poor Clares, and changed its name to S. Francesco della Valle, after the community whose properties the founders had purchased (see "Foundation Information," above). Some of the nuns of Montesanto were unhappy in their new community, and moved to S. Giovanni di Paragnano, but they returned to S. Angelo/S. Francesco in 1433.

 
Dependent Communities
 

May have sponsored an oratory of Servite brothers on the property (needs verification).

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Founders Ranuccio and Francesco also bought for the community the house of Iolo di Massolo.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Italy, Foligno, Bibliotheca Comunale, Fondo conventi soppressi, C. 8 (A. IX. I. 8), fasc. Perg. c. 16

 
Secondary Sources
 

Todi nel Medio Evo, p. 271;
Oriente Serafo, vol. 83, p. 2

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1596 the monastery was falling apart, and its decrepit state had already resulted in the death of one nun.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1329
 
Length
 
1786