S. Anastasia (Anastasio?)
Community ID
 
662
 
Town
 
Lanzo
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Medieval Location
 
Town was located in an alpine region, within the valley of Tesso
 
Dedication
 
S. Anastasia, martyr
 
Date Founded
 
991 (May 4)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine?
 
Foundation Information
 

Foundation document indicates that the region belonged to the monastery of S. Mauro di Pulcherada

 
Dependency Of
 

S. Mauro di Pulcherada

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The tower was built in the romanesque style, and measured 18 meters high by 4.55 meters across. The elegant symmetrical form of the tower was unusal for towers of the period. At the top, underneath the steeple roof, forming a perfect triangle, the tower is pierced on all four sides, with double arches on each side and a pillar supporting the apertures. Similar towers are to be found at S. Benigno di Fruttuaria (built 1003-1006), Constata di Torino (c. 1000), and S. Stefano di Ivrea (1029-1042).

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
991
 
Length
 
351