S. Afra
Community ID
 
2427
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Afrakloster in Würzburg
 
Town
 
Würzburg
 
Diocese
 
Würzburg
 
Medieval Location
 
The convent originally stood in the Karthause.
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Dedication
 
S. Afra
 
Date Founded
 
1147
 
Date Terminated
 
1803
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This convent was founded by Abbot Raphold of S. Stephan and Bishop Sie(g)fried circa 1147 upon the dissolution of a hospital and poorhouse near the cloister of S. Stephan. The convent was established with the goods from the dissolved hospital. The women followed the Benedictine rule. Abbots Konrad and Benedict of S. Stephan and Bishop Lorenz acted as the spiritual supervisors for the community (Link, 625-6).

 
Notable Heads
 

Notable abbesses were: Walburg of Wichsenstein, the first abbess, 1147; Mechthilde; Anna von Rndersacker; Caecilie of Tholbe; Bathilde; Caecilie of Grumbach, 1474; Anna of Ebnet, 1428; and Margareta, who supported the Protestant Reformation.

 
Relative Wealth
 

According to Link, in the Middle Ages this convent was one of the richest foundations in Bavaria.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The convent was secularized in 1803, and in 1805 Prince Wertheim Rosenberg purchased the cloister buildings.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

Afra, martyr (304) - formerly a prostitute, converted to Christianity;
burned at the stake in Augsburg (although she had been converted by st
Narcissus, bishop of Gerona in Spain)during Diocletian's persecutions. Link provides the names for several other abbesses from the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries which have not been included in the present record.

 
Date Started
 
1147
 
Date Finished
 
1803
 
Length
 
1370