Pillenreuth
Community ID
 
2451
 
Town
 
near Nürnberg (Nuremberg)
 
Medieval Location
 
near Nürnberg (Nuremberg)
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Date Founded
 
1300-1399 (fourteenth century)
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian (hermitesses)
 
Rule
 
Rule of S. Augustine
 
Foundation Information
 

This community of Augustinian hermitesses was founded near Nuremberg in the fourteenth century. The hermitesses of this community were well connected in mystical circles with other monasteries of the region (see ecclesiastical relationships).

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

The women of this community were well connected with other convents and mystical circles. Presumably Henry of Nördlingen played an important role in connecting the women of Pillenreuth with the nuns of Engelthal. There are clear literary links between the women of this community and Engelthal, Inzigkoven, and S. Katharinenkloster . Other connections between these communities are evident. The inagural sermon at Pillenreuth was delivered by a Dominican preacher; the library catalogue of Engelthal lists a book by the chaplian at Pillenreuth; and the nuns of Engelthal possessed manuscripts of many of the same works included in Manuscript W, which had Pillenreuth as its source and Inzigkoven as its producer. The Engelthal catalogue includes a manuscript on the sisters of Weiler, the sister-Book of Kirchberg, and a Sister-Book of a Dominican monastery near Ulm, all of which appear in Manuscript W (Hindsley, 188).

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

In 1422 the Augustinians underwent a reform that inaugurated a period of great literary activity under their superior (prioress) Anna Ebin. The Augustinians of this community became known for their copies and translations of mystical texts. This literary flowering produced Manuscript W of the Engelthal Sister-Book. It is also certain that Pillenreuth possessed a description of Christina Ebner's life (Hindsley, 188).

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1300
 
Length
 
1288