Pielenhofen
Community ID
 
2403
 
Alternate Names
 
Locus Sanctae Mariae (1237); Portus Marianus; Mariengestade
 
Town
 
Regensburg
 
Diocese
 
Regensburg
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Date Founded
 
1237 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1803 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

The oldest documentary mention of this convent comes from 1237 in a letter of protection from Pope Gregory IX. Two years later the abbots of Wlderbach and Aldersbach were given the task of "inspecting" the convent and the abbey was established as a daughter house of the male Cistercian community of Kaisheim (Krausen, 79). The name Pielenhofen first appears in a document dated March 12, 1240 in which Bishop Siegfried of Regensburg conveys the church in Pielenhofen with all its dependents to the convent. This document (as well as a testament from 1237) appear to indicate that the community developed initially at another location (Krausen, 79).

 
Notable Heads
 

The first known abbess is Abbess Irmgard (1240).

 
Dependency Of
 

Kaisheim

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

Lay-brothers and chaplains for the community were provided by the abbot of Kaisheim.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

The lords of Hohenfels and Ehrenfels acted as patrons (perhaps even founders of the community).

 
Social Characteristics
 

This was probably a noble community (Krausen, 79).

 
Relative Wealth
 

Economic difficulties between 1347-1370 led the community to alienate some of its property and publically beg for alms (Krausen, 80).

 
Assets/Property
 

The convent held property in the village of Pulnriuth (Pollenried).

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The community's archives are kept in the Hauptstaatsarchiv and the Kirchenarchiv in München (Munich)as well as in the Staatsarchiv in Neuburg.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The convent held the lower jurisdiction over its dependents, which was continually reaffirmed by the Bavarian lords. With the advent of the Protestant Reformation in the principality of Neuburg, the convent came under the administration of the secular lords (circa 1559). The nuns were allowed to continue living within the cloister. With the return of Catholicism to the region, the convent was annexed to the community of Kaisheim in 1655 (Krausen, 80). Final dissolution of the convent came circa 1803(?).

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1237
 
Date Finished
 
1803
 
Length
 
1781