Peykirk
Community ID
 
2882
 
Medieval Location
 
four miles from S. Guthlac's oratory
 
Date Founded
 
714
 
Date Terminated
 
1017 ?
 
Foundation Information
 

Pega, the sister of S. Guthlac, retired to a cell in Northumbria located four miles from her brother's oratory. She remained in that cell for two and a half years and then went to Rome. A community grew up around the cell. Dugdale notes that there was some dispute over whether or not that initial community was male or female. By the time Cnut ruled, the monastery was solely for men and had become a dependency of another male monastery (Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 3, 203-204).