Paradiso
Community ID
 
2309
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Celilia del Paradiso
 
Town
 
Città di Castello
 
Diocese
 
Città di Castello
 
Date Founded
 
1400-1499 (15th century)
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Clares
 
Rule
 
Third order
 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1455: Calixtus III grants the privilege of electing their own confessor.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

1658: United with S. Cecilia, after which they were called S. Cecilia del Paradiso. There had been a brief union beginning in 1475, but they had separated in 1479. A second union was contemplated in 1529, but only accomplished in 1658, by the work of Father Leone Caromi, Minor Observant.

 
Assets/Property
 

Their buildings closed the square by raising a wall before the house of Tiberti. In 1489, Monsignor Ventura Bufalini, Commendatore of S. Giacomo, gave them the church and cemetery of S. Giacomo, wanting to remove them from between S. Giovanni and SS. Trinita, but the sisters did not want to abandon the site.

 
Early Documents
 

[1] 1455: Papal privilege (see above) // [2] June 17, 1470: Obtained from the commune an area on the road to Scatorbia on which to enlarge the monastery.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1400
 
Length
 
656