Orford
Community ID
 
996
 
Alternate Names
 
Irford; also known as Irforth at its end, Stainton-le-Vale
 
Town
 
Lincoln
 
Diocese
 
Lincoln
 
Region
 
Lincolnshire
 
Modern Location
 
Stainton-le-Vale
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1153-1156 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1539
 
Religious Order
 
Premonstratensian
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Ralf d'Albini and his wife Sybil de Valoignes at the male monastery, Newhouse.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 7 nuns and a prioress in 1539.

 
Dependency Of
 

The male community at Newhouse

 
Visitations
 

In 1348 it appropriated the church of Wragby because of poverty. In 1491 Bishop Redman excommunicated a nun for breaking her vow of chastity with a canon of Newhouse.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Its patrons were the D'Aubigny family, especially Ralph D'Aubigny, followed by the de Roos family in the 14th century.

 
Income
 

In 1535 the community's net income was valued at over 13 pounds (Knowles and Hadcock, 231).

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

Very little is known of its history. Orford appears to have become relatively independent in the late 12th century. There is some evidence that the nuns at Orford were able to read and sing Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 147). Orford escaped suppression in 1536-7.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0439]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1153
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
1159