Oldbury
Community ID
 
811
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Edith
 
Town
 
Coventry
 
Diocese
 
Worcester
 
Region
 
Warwickshire
 
Medieval Location
 
Originally Benedictine nuns came to Oldbury from Polesworth after they were expelled in 1066. Eventually they returned about 1130. The community remained a dependency of Polesworth until sometime before 1189.
 
Modern Location
 
Oldbury
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Edith
 
Date Founded
 
1066 or later
 
Date Terminated
 
1154 or later
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

The community was founded by the nuns of Polesworth Polesworthwho came to Oldbury in 1066 and resided there until 1130 when they return and the community became a dependency of Polesworth .

 
Notable Heads
 

According to Knowles the head of house was called Prioress after the move to Oldbury from the Abbey of Polesworth during the period 1066-1130.

 
Dependency Of
 

Dependency of Polesworthand was Benedictine between 1130 and 1189.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

diocese perhaps Worcester Polesworth.

 
Admin. Notes
 

MAD edited 6/10/97
[V0589]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Contributors Notes
 

Coventry Lieciester

 
Date Started
 
1066
 
Date Finished
 
1154
 
Length
 
760