Niederviehbach
Community ID
 
2594
 
Town
 
Niederviehbach
 
Diocese
 
Regensburg
 
Modern Location
 
Niederviehbach; in the governmental district of lower Bavaria; in the region of Dingolfing-Landau
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary; S. Augustine
 
Date Founded
 
1296
 
Date Terminated
 
1803
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Rule
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

This community of Augustinian women was founded in 1296 by Count Berengar of Leonsberg.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

The conventual buildings and holdings were sold after the community's dissolution, although the conventual apocathery remained. In 1847 Dominican nuns assumed the buildings and created a girls' school on the site.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The archives and books from this community went to Munich.

 
Secondary Sources
 

HEMMERLE, Augustinereremiten, p. 62-65. Hist. Staetten, p. 492. SINNIGEN, P. Ansgar, Katholische Frauengenossenschaften Deutschlands, p. 21.

 
Clients/Tenants/Other
 

In addition to the female Augustinian community, a residence for male members of the order also existed in Niederviehbach. The male Augustinians provided spiritual direction for the women.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1296
 
Date Finished
 
1803
 
Length
 
727