Maria Medingen
Community ID
 
2585
 
Alternate Names
 
Mödingen
 
Town
 
Mödingen
 
Diocese
 
Augsburg
 
Medieval Location
 
near Dillingen
 
Modern Location
 
Mödingen; in the governmental district of Swabia; in the region of Dillingen on the Donau River
 
Dedication
 
Ascension of Mary (Maria Himmelfahrt)
 
Date Founded
 
1246
 
Date Terminated
 
1542-1615 (female); 1803 (final dissolution)
 
Religious Order
 
Dominican
 
Rule
 
Augustinian (second order of preachers)
 
Foundation Information
 

The convent's chronicle begins in the year 1239 when the first Dominican nun appeared. However, the community was not formally founded until 1246. Count Hartmann IV of Dillingen provided the community with an intial donation of properties and income, and Pope Innocent IV took the community into his protection. The community regarded Count Hartmann IV as its founder. Five years prior to his gift to this foundation, Count Hartmann had provided a house to a community of religious women in Dillingen, who later adopted the Franciscan rule (Name unknown (Franciscans/Clares)). Between 1542-1616 the female Dominican house of Maria Medingen was dissolved.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Between 1305-1351 this convent was home to the famous mystic Margaret Ebner (1291-1351).

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

In 1467, four Observant sisters from Pforzheim arrived to reform the community. They brought with them ten manuscripts with the specific instruction that the German non-liturgical books were to be returned to Pforzheim at the death of the reformers.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Related links:
The current community of Franciscan nuns maintain a website.
http://www.dillinger-franziskanerinnen-provinz-maria-medingen.de/index.h...

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

The original community was dissolved in 1542. In 1616 the convent was resettled by Dominican nuns from S. Katharina (S. Katharine) in Augsburg. In 1843 the community was again resettled by Franciscan nuns.

 
Date Started
 
1246
 
Date Finished
 
1542
 
Length
 
726