Marburghausen
Community ID
 
2400
 
Alternate Names
 
Vallis S. Crucis (1237); marienburghausen (18th century); Mariaburghausen (today)
 
Town
 
Haßfurt
 
Diocese
 
Würzburg
 
Medieval Location
 
originally three hours north of Haßfurt; later Mariaburghausen
 
Dedication
 
S. John the Baptist (currently)
 
Date Founded
 
1236-7
 
Date Terminated
 
1580-1582 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Circa 1200 a female convent was founded just three hours north of Haßfurt; in 1237 the community was transfered to Mariaburghausen. At this time Mariaburghausen was in the possession of Giboto of Ezelnhausen, who served as a patron of the community as he had for Maidbronn. The convent lay within the parish of Westheim (Link, 607). The convent was established in 1236/7 by Abbess Jutta as a daughterhouse of Heiligenthal. Bishop Hermann of Würzburg confrimed the foundation in January 1237 and recognized the nuns' right to freely elect their abbess as well as their freedom from a provost, although the bishop retained jurisdictional rights over the convent's goods (Krausen, 72-3). At the time of its foundation, the bishop sold the convent half of the village of Marburghausen, exempted the convent from tolls and divided the convent from the mother-church of Knetzgau. The abbot of Bildhausen was given the task of spiritual supervision over the convent.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

In 1255 Pope Alexancer IV confirmed the convent's privileges. In 1263 and 1303 Popes Clement IV and Benedict XI expanded the nuns' privileges, granting the nuns' the same rights over their private possessions as they would have held had they remained in the secular world (Krausen, 73).

 
Dependency Of
  
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

The abbot of Bildhausen acted as the spiritual advisor of the convent.

 
Relative Wealth
 

The convent experienced financial difficulties during the sixteenth century, particularly due to the peasant's war.

 
Assets/Property
 

The convent's possessions consisted of 771 acres of fields, 567 acres of meadow, and 1051 acres of forest (Link, 607). The convent also held rich possessions in the surrounding villages.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The convent church was rebuilt in the fourteenth century and has the general characteristics of female Cistercian conventual churches (Krausen, 73).

 
Relics
 

The convent contained considerable relics which gained it a reputation as a pilgrimage destination.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The archival materials for the community are found in the Hauptstaatsarchiv in München (Munich) and in the Staatarchiv in Würzburg as well as in the German national-museum in Nürnberg.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The convent was damaged by fire in 1287. In 1456 the convent community was accussed of neglecting to observe strict claustration. In 1492 and 1498 the episcopal bishop called for stricter observances in the convent. On March 17, 1582 Abbess Ursula von Rüsenbach died; she was the only inhabitant of the convent at this time. After her death the convent was dissolved by Bishop Julius Echter with papal permission and the income from the convent was transferred to his newly-founded University (Krausen, 74).

 
Conversi/ae and servants
 

The convent had conversi under the supervision of a provost, who belonged to the community of Bildhausen.

 
Admin. Notes
 

Link says the community was founded as a female convent of 'Bernardinerinen'? same as community 2421 (deleted 8/24/99) june

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1236
 
Date Finished
 
1580
 
Length
 
2499