Maggiore di Monte Mascarano
Community ID
 
2735
 
Alternate Names
 
Monasterium Majoris; later Montesanto or S. Maria de Montesanto
 
Town
 
Todi
 
Diocese
 
Todi
 
Medieval Location
 
Erected on a hill outside of town, on the Monte Mascarano, 1 km. from the Porta Orvietana, 2 km. from Cuti (This was the second monastery built close to Todi)
 
Date Founded
 
1235 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1413 (see "Incorporated by," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Clares
 
Rule
 
S. Damian
 
Notable Heads
 

Angela di Bartaletto was abbess in 1362.

 
Population Counts
 

42 nuns and 6 conversae in 1284; 36 nuns in 1314; 7 nuns in 1413.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

[1] 1235, October 12: Boniface writes in favor of the abbess and nuns of Monte Mascarano; [2] 1236, June 20: Gregory IX takes protection of the community's goods, and rules that the nuns may adopt the dress stipulated by the rule of S. Damiano

 
Incorporated Communities
 

United with S. Maria di Camiano in 1413, and both communities were immediately incorporated by S. Angelo della Valle (see below).

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Angelo della Valle in 1413. The nuns are unhappy with this arrangement, and many take refuge in S. Giovanni di Paragnano, but return to S. Angelo (by then renamed S. Francesco della Valle) in 1433. A 1428 bull of Pope Eugenius IV refers to the community's temporary unification with S. Giovanni Paragnano, but may mistakenly refer to it as "S. Maria Paragnano."

 
Dependent Communities
 

Maintained a small community of franciscan friars that had 4 members in 1307.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

in 1375, when armed incursions forced the nuns to retreat to within the city, they took refuge with the nuns of S. Maria di Camiano.

 
Litigations
 

Pope Gregory IX gave the community all the goods taken from the Premonstratensian abbey of S. Leucio, but this was contested. The nuns finally compromised in 1255, giving nine "cappellanie" to the diocese, and keeping only eight for themselves.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1235
 
Date Finished
 
1413
 
Length
 
1630