Langley
Community ID
 
968
 
Alternate Names
 
Langeley; (after 1500) White Nuns of S. Augustine
 
Town
 
Lincoln
 
Diocese
 
Lincoln
 
Region
 
Leiceistershire
 
Medieval Location
 
According to Holy Women of Twelfth-Century England. it was located on the site of an antique male monastery.
 
Modern Location
 
Langley
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1154 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1536
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine. May have been Cistercian earlier.
 
Foundation Information
 

Langely was founded in 1150 (or 1167, according to Marilyn Oliva) as a Cistercian daughter house of a female community. According to S. Thompson, the probable founders are William Pantulf and his wife, Burgia (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 224). It appears that Langley proclaimed itself Cistercian to obtain certain rights, but that such claims were later abandoned (see litigation field).

 
Population Counts
 

There were 7 in 1377, 8 in 1440, and 6 besides the prioress in 1536.

 
Dependency Of
 

The community was founded as a daughter house of Farewell.

 
Income
 

In 1535 the net income was over 29 pounds.

 
Litigations
 

An account of a dispute over the payment of tithes which took place between the nuns of Langley and the canons of Breedon at the end of the 12th century refers to a letter from Pope Alexander III which stated that the nuns had professed the Cistercian order and were exempt from the payment of certain tithes (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 106). After 2 years of dispute the judges appear to have decided in favor of the nuns. However, a later decision ordered the nuns to pay some tithes to Breedon priory (1183/1188). It appears that the nuns eventually abandoned their claims to belong to the order of Citeaux.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Admin. Notes
 

Foundation date in miscellaneous information contradicts the information in the field.

 
Contributors
 
Marilyn Oliva
 
Date Started
 
1154
 
Date Finished
 
1536
 
Length
 
1804