King's Mead
Community ID
 
884
 
Alternate Names
 
Derby, Derby Kingsmead, de Pratis, or S. Mary de Pratis, S. Mary de Pres
 
Town
 
Coventry
 
Diocese
 
Coventry
 
Region
 
Derbyshire
 
Medieval Location
 
The priory was situated a mile away from the Augustinian canons of Darley.
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1149-59
 
Date Terminated
 
1536
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

In the early days of the community there were wardens.

 
Notable Heads
 

The earliest known prioress is NULL, followed by NULL

 
Dependency Of
 

According to Thompson, this priory was linked with the canons of S. Helens (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 48, 221). A charter of Bishop Walter Durdent, dating from about 1154 to 1159, conceded the care of the virgins to the abbot. Later, Bishop Richard Peche confirmed grants to the nuns and stated that they held endowments in their own right and owed no obedience to the abbey. The charter suggests that there had been problems over the nuns' dependence on the canons of Darley (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 48).

 
Income
 

In 1535 the net income of the community was over 18 pounds.

 
Charitable/Work
 

The nuns of Kingsmead appear to have also been linked to the hospital of S. Helen, leading Thompson to speculate that they may have been involved in some form of practical care (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 48).

 
Published Primary Sources
 

The Cartulary of Darley Abbey, Volume 2, 595-597, no. 2.

 
Admin. Notes
 

mad 6/12/97
[V0311]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1149
 
Date Finished
 
1536
 
Length
 
1304