Kecharitomene
Community ID
 
4981
 
Alternate Names
 
Convent of the Mother of God Kecharitomene
 
Town
 
Constantinople
 
Medieval Location
 
Deuteron neighborhood
 
Dedication
 
Mother of God Kecharitomene, "Full of Grace"
 
Date Founded
 
1000-1104
 
Foundation Information
 

At its foundation, the convent of the Mother of God Kecharitomene was joined with a male monastery dedicated to Christ Philanthropos.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Empress Irene Doukaina Komnene and her daughter Anna Komnene retired to Kecharitomene. Anna wrote her history, the Alexiad, at the convent after 1148.

 
Population Counts
 

24 nuns, 1 superior, and 2 girls reared in the convent(1110-16).

 
Incorporated Communities
 

Patriarch Nicholas III Grammatikos donated a patriarchal convent, Ta Kellaraias, to the Kecharitomene Convent. Ta Kellaraias was intended to serve as Kecharitomene’s mortuary chapel.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

The Empress Irene Doukaina Komnene, wife of the Emperor Alexios I Komenos, founded the convent of the Mother of God Kecharitomene. The empress claimed a set of privileges for herself. She required that the convent grant admission to her granddaughters and allow them to live in their own quarters, have a more substantial diet than the other nuns, and be cared for by servants.

 
Social Characteristics
 

This convent was the location of retirement for several members of the imperial family. Irene Doukaina Komnene insisted on preferential admissions and special treatment for her female family members and other noble women who sought entry into the convent.

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1110, the convent received revenues produced from landed estates and other properties which they owned. These estates required lay property administrators. The convent possessed property which surrounded the convent, including the house of Sophianos with its land, the house of Euphemia near Sophianos, the house of Bardales that is of Kourasmene, the house of Kapassou, the house of Angelina the priest’s wife, the house of Angelina’s daughter, the house of Souroumina, the house of Garatzias, the house of Syropoulos with the vineyard, the house of Pelekanos, the house of Boutzas, the house of Theodora Kathare, the house of Gerakares, the house of Roudroa, the house of Thomais, the house of Tzoukis, the house of Chamopournea, the house of Katakalos and another house near this one. The convent also owned a house next to the warehouse, the house once belonging to Sophianos, the house of Tzegoudes, the house of Sophianos, the house of Latouros, the houses of Apedou, the house of Mauraganos, the house of Maurianos, the house of the priest Zagaras, the house of Thomais, the house of Michael Charastias, the house of Triantaphylos, the house of Mauros, the house of Charatzias, two vineyards, and a small group of other houses and buildings.

 
Income
 

The convent received rent from a bakery, income from Palaiologos, income from Pege, rent from a workshop, and income from a priest. The convent also received income from vineyards belonging to Basil Kalogerites, Tzignogoulina the widow, Polypeirina the widow, Demetrios Kanokes, Kanokes the priest, Apostoles Lithognomon, Gounares Kentarchos, John Tzibitzoulos, Konstans Galotes, Manuel Koursares, Lampadares Panopoulos, and Theodore Keporos.

 
Charitable/Work
 

The convent distributed bread daily and distributed bread and money on the feast days.

 
Early Documents
 

The first reference to the male monastery dedicated to Christ Philanthropos (joined with Kecharitomene)is in a manuscript in the Esphigmenou monastery on Mount Athos. Catalogue of the Greek manuscripts on Mount Athos vol. 1, p. 176. Various editions of the Typikon for the Kecharitomene Convent exist. Le typikon de la Theotokos Kecharitomene, Kecharitomene: Typikon of Empress Irene Doukaina Komnene for the Convent of the Mother of God Kecharitomene in Constantinople, Analecta Graeca, sive Varia opuscula Graeca hactenus non edita: ex mss. eruerunt, Latine verterunt et notis illustrarunt monachi Benedictini Congregationis Sancti Mauri, p. 129-298.

 
Relics
 

The convent possessed two relics of the wood of the cross and at least one other reliquary.

 
Conversi/ae and servants
 

6 Servants (1110-16).