Küttenbaum
Community ID
 
2424
 
Alternate Names
 
Leinach
 
Diocese
 
Würzburg
 
Date Founded
 
1264
 
Date Terminated
 
1544
 
Rule
 
unknown
 
Foundation Information
 

This was a community of Beguines. In 1274 Friedrich of Gelnausen granted his house in Würzburg to the Beguines. In 1322 the canon, Friedrich of Widern in Haug purchased a portion of the Löwenhof, later called Küttenbaum or Leinach, in order to provide for 12 poor Beguines. He also provided income enough for each women to have fire and oil as well as vegetables. The women were supposed to live a pious life, guard their interaction with men, cease from weaving cloth, not venture outside the community without the permission of their leader, and not remain outside the community for longer than 14 days (Link, 609). The community was supervised by the cathedral parish, a canon or vicar from Haug and a local patrician.

 
Population Counts
 

Originally 12 women.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

In the sixteenth century the community was transformed into a poorhouse.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1264
 
Date Finished
 
1544
 
Length
 
866