Inzigkoven
Community ID
 
2452
 
Alternate Names
 
Inzigkofen
 
Town
 
Sigmaringen
 
Medieval Location
 
Sigmaringen
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Date Founded
 
1354
 
Date Terminated
 
1802
 
Religious Order
 
Franciscan; Augustinian by 1394
 
Rule
 
Rule of the Third Order of S. Francis; rule of S. Augustine by 1394
 
Foundation Information
 

Originally two women from Signaringen founded Inzigkoven in 1354. The community follwed the rule of the Third Order of Franciscans. The foundation gradually won more followers, and a church dedicated to S. John the Baptist and a new cloister were erected in 1388. After the death of the original founders, the community became Augustinian canonesses in 1394. After 1412, under prioress Anna Schmid, the community accepted strict enclosure. The canonesses obtained the priviledge of choosing their own confessor and had permission to receive the sacraments in their own chapel (Hindsley, 188). In 1431 the canonesses adopted the statutes of Pillenreuth. The adoption of these statutes may have led to the literary flowering of the community. They also led to the adoption of private cells for each sister. This change fostered the development of contemplation, while strict enclosure encouraged work in the scriptorium (Hindsley, 189).

 
Notable Heads
 

Anna Schmid (d. 1420), who had visions and spurred the convent to an intense literary activity.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

In 1431 the canonesses adopted the statutes of Pillenreuth. Thereafter their confessors came from the monasteries of Langenzenn and Indersdorf. The community had literary ties with the female communities of Engelthal and Pillenreuth as well. In fact, Manuscript W was produced at Inzigkoven, although it had its source at Pillenreuth (Hindsley, 188).

 
Social Characteristics
 

The women were probably drawn from the educated nobility.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

A church dedicated to S. John the Baptist and a new cloister were erected in 1388.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

A manuscript formerly held in the library of this community contains texts copied by eleven different hands at four convents, including S. Katharinental,Pillenreuth,S. Katharinenkloster

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

After the secularization of this community, the library holdings were either destroyed or dispersed. However, the extant works show that a great value must have been placed on the preservation of mystical texts from a variety of sources (Hindsley, 188). The monastery never experienced reform.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

The convent experienced a period of intense literary activity under prioress Anna Schmid, who had visions. The monastic scriptorium gained a reputation by producing fine missals and choir books. Inzigkoven's library contained amny mystical texts from the fourteenth century, copied by Anna Jäck and Elisabeth Muntprat. In 1498 Justina Blarer translated the lives of the Dutch leaders of the Devotio Moderna (Hindsley, 188). So far more that 30 manuscripts from the library of this community have been identified. Among them are texts from some of the greatest mystical writers of the late medieval period: Bonaventure, Rulman Mersswin, Pseudo-Bonaventure, Meister Eckhart, Gertrude the Great, Marquard of Lindau, Jan van Roesbroeck, Henry Suso, and John Tauler (Hindsley, 189). A collection of the manuscripts from Engelthal were included in a major manuscript (Sammelhardschrift) produced for the canonesses of Inzigkoven in the fifteenth century by Hans Probst. The manuscript includes Christina Ebner's Sister-book of Engelthal, the Revelations of Adelheid Langmann, the Gnaden-vita of Friedrich Sunder, and the Vita of Sister Gertrud of Engelthal by Conrard Friedrich and Heinrich of Engelthal (Hindsley, 189). A portion of this manuscript was written by Anna Jäck, a member of the community. Since the manuscript was both commissioned and partially produced at Inzigkoven, it likely reveals the mystical interests of the sisters.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1354
 
Date Finished
 
1802
 
Length
 
1876