Hospital of Walsoken
Community ID
 
1031
 
Alternate Names
 
Hospital of the Holy Trinity; Capelle et hospitalis Sce Trinitatis de Walsoken
 
Town
 
Norwich
 
Diocese
 
Norwich
 
Region
 
Norfolk
 
Medieval Location
 
Originally in the parish of Walsoaken in the chapel at the place called Stathe -Dytch .,dedication
 
Modern Location
 
Walsoken
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
Holy Trinity
 
Date Founded
 
1200 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1545
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded for a master, chaplains, brothers and sisters attached to a confraternity. Evidence for the presence of sisters is that they are mentioned in the documents of 4 popes.

 
Notable Heads
 

After 1475 there are several masters known, who are the head of the house.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Sisters appear in notices of papal indulgences, or documents citing same that are from the period after 1378. Two chaplains received mass privileges during Interdict, 1390. Pope Boniface IX gives an indulgence to the founder.

 
Visitations
 

Papal indulgences were granted to brothers and sisters by Urban VI about 1378-89. Four others were granted in 1481. It also received indulgences from the Bishop of Ely in 1487.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Several Popes

 
Assets/Property
 

A little more than 5 pounds in 1535.

 
Charitable/Work
 

Gild or confraternity at location, referred to as hospital of the Holy Trinity.

 
Early Documents
 

[1]Records a papal privilege received from Boniface IX. There may have been a previous papal privilege granted by Urban VI. (1390 De)
[2] The second document is thought to be a deed admitting members. Further research is necessary to verify this. (1476)

 
Art & Artifacts
 

A 15th century seal remains that depicts two towers and a figure between the letters "T" and "L".

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1200
 
Date Finished
 
1545
 
Length
 
1033