Hospital of S. Mary, Yarmouth
Community ID
 
1032
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Mary the Virgin
 
Town
 
Norwich
 
Diocese
 
Norwich
 
Region
 
Norfolk
 
Modern Location
 
Yarmouth
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1278 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1545 or later
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Thomas Fastolf early in the reign of Edward I, the community had a master, 8 brothers and 8 sisters according to Dugdale.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

While once both brothers and sisters lived here, there are only women at termination.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 8 in 1278 and 4 in 1535.

 
Visitations
 

In 1354 Walter di Bintre, donzel Duke of Lancaster, requests a papal indulgence for benefactors, brothers and sisters. Other indulgences granted from the Bishop of Ely in 1419.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Around 1398 it was taken over by Yarmouth corporation from which it eventually obtained it's independence. Further benefactors were William Gerbrigge, senior, by testament 1278; Walter di Bintre, donzel duke Lancaster, in 1354; Richard Fastolf in 1356, and William de Statham, 13?.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

After 1398 the hospital was governed by Yarmouth. Yarmouth named the warden and created new statutes, but the hospital did not flourish.

 
Assets/Property
 

The assets of the hospital declined under the managment of Yarmouth sometime after 1398. It had about 5 pounds per year in 1535 to support 4 poor women.

 
Income
 

In 1354 the hospital had alms to support the brothers and sisters. General rents and rent from 2 fish-houses in Yarmouth were the sources of income.

 
Charitable/Work
 

Cared for poor brothers and sisters. After 1535 there were only women present.

 
Litigations
 

After 1398 the hospital is governed by Yarmouth. Yarmouth names the warden and creates new statutes, but the hospital did not flourish.

 
Early Documents
 

[1]Testament of William Gerbidge Sr (1278)
[2] A petition to Pope Innocent VI from the vassal of the Duke of Lancaster. (1354)

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1278
 
Date Finished
 
1545
 
Length
 
1074