Himmelthron
Community ID
 
2397
 
Alternate Names
 
Coeli Thronus
 
Town
 
Nürnberg (Nuremberg)
 
Diocese
 
Bamberg
 
Medieval Location
 
Grindlac (Grindlach)
 
Modern Location
 
Großgründlach near Nürnberg; in the governmental district of Mittelfranken.
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1343-1348
 
Date Terminated
 
1525
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This Cistercian convent was founded by Countess Kunigunde of Orlamünde, wife of Count Otto VII of Orlamünde, who on February 16, 1343 commissioned the mayor of Nürnberg, Konrad Gross, to establish a Cistercian convent for sixteen women. Spiritual authority over the convent was granted to the abbot of Langheim. Kundigunde herself entered the community as a nun (Krausen, 58). On May 23, 1348 the convent was moved to Grindlach with the permission of the bishop of Bamberg and the abbot of Langheim.

 
First Members
 

Countess Kunigunde

 
Notable Heads
 

Countess Kunigunde

 
Population Counts
 

The original foundation was made for sixteen women.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

The parish of Gunzenhausen was incorporated into the convent by Pope Clemens VI in 1347.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

Spiritual authority over the convent was granted to the abbot of Langheim.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

In 1378 Countess Kunigunde placed the convent under the powerful protection of the city of Nürnberg. In 1385 the successor of Kunigunde, Abbess Anna, granted the higher jurisdictional authority, which the convent had previously possessed, to the city of Grindlach and received in return a lower jurisdictional authority (Krausen, 59).

 
Relative Wealth
 

In the fourteenth century the convent struggled with economic difficulties caused by too great a number of inhabitants and building expenses.

 
Assets/Property
 

Countess Kunigunde provided the initial foundation with her acquired property in Grindlach, which included jurisdictional rights, an orchard, farm, and other possessions, in total worth approximately 5000 pounds (Krausen, 58).

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The community's archives are found in the Archiv der Fürstherr Sigmund von Haller'schen Familienstiftung Großgründlach and in both the Staatarchiv and the Stadtarchiv (state and city archives) in Nürnberg.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Die Klöster des Zisterzienserordens in Bayern
HUEMBER, B. Verzeichnis der deutschen Cisterzienserinnenkloester. (StMBO 37, 1916).

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Towards the end of the fifteenth century the convent was forced to undergo a reform and establish a stricter observance. When the convent was dissolved in 1525, it was one of the last female Cistercian houses in Franken, but one of the first female houses in the area of Nürnberg whose alms fell to the city (Krausen, 59).

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary Hist. Staetten,234.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1343
 
Date Finished
 
1525
 
Length
 
2097