Henwood
Community ID
 
812
 
Alternate Names
 
Estwell, Heanwood, Hynewode, Kynewood
 
Town
 
Coventry
 
Diocese
 
Worcestershire
 
Region
 
Warwickshire
 
Medieval Location
 
West Coventry at Langdon in the parish of Solihull near a spring East Langdon ; tall oaks nearby
 
Modern Location
 
Henwood
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
Margaret
 
Date Founded
 
1161 or earlier, possibly as early as 1149
 
Date Terminated
 
1536
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Ketelberne (Ketelburne) de Langdon founded the community for the nuns of Estwell during the bishopric of Walter Durdent, Bishop of Chester, at a location provided by his lordship Ketelberne de Langdon.

 
Notable Heads
 

Maud, K. Boydin, M. Curzon , M. d' Fokerham, J. Fokerham, J. d'Pickford , E. d' Stoke, J. Middlemore, NULL, E. Pultney NULL

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

At the time of termination in 1536 there were 7 dependents: a priest, a yeoman, 2 hands,and 3 dairy women.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 15 in 1348, 3 in 1349, 12 in 1404, 7 in 1536.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

Gregory IX confirmed tithes from Solihull, etc. 1228

 
Dependency Of
 

Westminster?

 
Visitations
 

Prioress appointed by the Abbot of Westminster Church until 1310. After this date the Prioress is elected.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Abott of Westminster after about 1310. Benefactors include Ketelberne de Langdon, Pope Gregory IX, Bishop Geoffrey Muschamp before 1215, and the male monastery of Westminster, and in 1330 Rich le Fevre. King Richard II in 1399 and King Henry IV in 1399, and Pope Innocent the VII.

 
Assets/Property
 

Assets include land holding in West Coventry, pasture, timber, and mill rights. The community had a chapter house and the privilege to acquire property to the value of about 70 pounds. The community was impoverished in 1404. In 1535 it had more than 21 pounds. In 1536 it had about 24 pounds and was 27 pounds in debt. It sold for more than 207 pounds.

 
Income
 

Income was derived from tithes, rents, and possibly a dairy.

 
Charitable/Work
 

The community gave alms to poor in the chapter house in 1404 and distributed bread on Maundy Thursday in 1535.

 
Early Documents
 

[1]The first known document is from the foundation charter, before 1161. [2]Confirmation of papal privilege from Gregory IX in 1228.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

A seal from the community remains that depicts S. Margaret with a nimbus, piercing the head of a dragon with a long cross. There is also a 13th century book from the community.

 
Admin. Notes
 

Edited MAD 6/10/97
[V0428]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1161
 
Date Finished
 
1536
 
Length
 
1232