Grace Dieu
Community ID
 
1116
 
Alternate Names
 
Priory of Saint Mary
 
Diocese
 
Dublin
 
Region
 
Dublin
 
Medieval Location
 
Lusk, probably moved after 1195 to Dublin
 
Modern Location
 
moved to Portrane , 1539
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
Saint Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1195 or later (needs verification)
 
Date Terminated
 
1539; Portrane location terminated after 1577
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian (Arrouasian)
 
Foundation Information
 

John Cumin, archbishop of Dublin

 
Notable Heads
 

Alison White, last prioress

 
Dependency Of
 

in 15th century, anchoress of Ballymadun claimed annual rent-charge payable by prioress of Grace Dieu

 
Assets/Property
 

church of Ballymadun with a chapel granted by Archbishop Henry of London / 25 Oct 1540 site and demesne of 203 acres, with water-mill, horse-mill, dove-cote; possessions include 632 more acres with many messuages, cottages, unmeasured plots etc. and an interest in 6 recotries, total value 70 pounds 12 shillings 10 pence gross, 60 pounds, 12 shilings, 10 pence net, but certain unoccupied or waste land not included in valuation of acreage / 1577 in Portrane Isabella Walsh in charge, held a messuage, 18 acres and a castle at Portrane

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

extant remains

 
Contributors
 
R. Eickwort
 
Date Started
 
1195
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
405