Geseke
Community ID
 
1427
 
Alternate Names
 
Gesecke
 
Town
 
Lippstadt
 
Diocese
 
Paderborn (1256-94); since 1294, Cologne
 
Dedication
 
S. Cyriacus; Blessed Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
946-952 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1823
 
Religious Order
 
unknown
 
Rule
 
unknown
 
Foundation Information
 

The community of Geseke was founded by three siblings in 952, according to Heineken (62-63). Schmitz-Kallenberg states that the convent was founded in 946 and first mentioned in 952. According to Heineken, the siblings secured for their family all the necessary rights, but a confirmation of Otto III thirty-four years later fails to mention the family's rights in the foundation (Heineken, 63). The community functioned as a noble women's chapter (of canonesses?).

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The archives are located in the Staatsarchiv in Münster. A Gradual from the community (c. 1531) is preserved in the archepiscopal museum in Paderborn, sine numero.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

By the king's cabinet order of October 28, 1819 the convent was transformed into a careplace for poor, unmarried women of all confessions. The community was finally dissolved in 1823.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

The only remaining work from the community's library is a gradual from 1531.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
946
 
Date Finished
 
1823
 
Length
 
984