Ellerton
Community ID
 
855
 
Alternate Names
 
Ellerton in Swaldale or Ellerton in Swandale; Ellerton-upon-Swale
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Yorkshire (North)
 
Medieval Location
 
North Riding
 
Modern Location
 
2 miles east/south-east of Grinton, route 6270. Ellerton is located in the Swale River Valley only 1 mile east of the Marrick Priory ruins.
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary and S. Lawrence (Dedication to S. Lawrence needs futher research).
 
Date Founded
 
1189 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1537-8
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Foundation date : 1199-1207 (needs verification) According to J.A. Nichols, the nunnery was settled at some time in the reign of Henry II and its founder is unknown, but see Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 5, which lists Warnerius, dapifer (steward) to Earl of Richmond or his son, Wymerus, temp. Henry II. Thompson suggests probable founders as the Egglesclive or Barden family (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 221).

 
Population Counts
 

There were 5 nuns in 1381 and 1536.

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1267 members of the house exceeded its means, so the community was without assets.

 
Income
 

The community received income from the churches of Adwick and Melton. In 1535 its annual income was valued at 15 pounds, 10 shillings, 6 pence.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The buttressed tower of the community is 48 feet high and 15 feet square. It has Perpendicular Gothic windows in all three stories. The church, which was without aisles or transepts, was 95 feet long and 25 feet wide as measured by the remaining walls. The total length of the church including the west tower is 117 feet, 6 inches. Access to the top of the tower is possible by a stone spiral staircase which allows an inspection of the transomed bell openings (Pevsner, Buildings: Yorkshire North Riding, 159, quoted in Medieval English Cistercian Nunneries: Their Art and Physical Remains, 170).

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

The west tower remains standing as well as do the remaining walls of the convent's church. The site of the priory was photographed from the air on July 10, 1949 and Jan. 14, 1967 (Cambridge Univ.: Dept. of Aerial Photo, DQ 92 and AQQ 36-40) which display the west tower and church walls. [See Architecture/Archaeology field above]

 
Contributors
 
Marilyn Oliva
 
Date Started
 
1189
 
Date Finished
 
1537
 
Length
 
1601