Dorstadt
Community ID
 
2475
 
Town
 
Wolfenbüttel; near Goslar
 
Diocese
 
Hildesheim
 
Dedication
 
Holy Cross, Blessed Virgin Mary, and S. Trinitas
 
Date Founded
 
1189
 
Date Terminated
 
1545
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Rule
 
Rule of S. Augustine
 
Foundation Information
 

The noble Arnold of Dorstadt, brother of Bishop Adelog of Hildesheim, bequeathed his brother Heinrich the task of founding a convent. Heinrich of Dorstadt founded the convent in 1189 from his own property for the worship of the Holy Cross. The foundation was confirmed by Bishop Adelog, and the community of Augustinian women was formed (Hoogeweg, 28-29).

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The remaining works from this community's library are preserved in the Herzog August Bibliothek in Wolfenbüttel. They include: a Passionale, 1485,#Helmst. 275 (308); Sermons, fifteenth century, #Helmst. 246(275); Super Petrum Lombardum, fifteenth century, Helmst. 278(311); a Lation dictionary (?), fifteenth century, #Helmst. 370(405); Brevilogus, 1404, #Helmst. 400 (435); Lect., fifteenth century, #Helmst. 413(448); Thomas a Kempsi, 1465/58, #Helmst. 419 (454); Sermons, fifteenth century, #Helmst. 440(475); Lect., fourteenth century, #Helmst. 536(583); an Horarium, thirteenth century, #Helmst. 541(589); Speculum BVM, thirteenth century, owned by Margareta Jacobi, #Helmst. 617(666); Sermons, fifteenth century, #Helmst. 644(694); a latin vocabulary, 1444, #Helsmt. 720(784); Homil., fifteenth century, #Helmst. 725(789); Expos. hymn., fifteenth century, #Helmst. 732(796); De missa, thirteenth century, #Helmst. 871(970); Hugo Ripelin, fourteenth century, #Helmst. 1077 (1180), and a Breviary, fourteenth-fifteenth century, #Helmst. 1263(1371).
The Haag also preserves a Breviary from the community, written in 1485, #Kgl. B, 150.F. 12.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Urkundenbuch des hochstifts Hildesheim.
LAUENSTEIN, Hist. diplom. episc. Hild. II, p. 258-9.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Verzeichnis der Stifter und Klöster Niedersachsens vor der ReformationHandschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters, vol. 1, p. 169-170.
LÜNTZEL, Geschichte des Diözese und Stadt Hildesheim II, p. 226-7, 452.
BERTRAM, Geschichte des Bistum Hildesheim, I.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In the fifteenth century, Johannes Busch attempted to reform the convent according to the Windesheimer Reform; he succeeded only partially and with great difficulty in instilling this reform in the community. In 1545 the convent accepted the Lutheran Reform at the instigation of Duke Julius. In 1810 the government finally dissolved the community and sold the conventual buildings to a private party. It was held by the family of Löbbeke (Hoogeweg, 29).

 
Admin. Notes
 

Further research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1189
 
Date Finished
 
1545
 
Length
 
2339